Digital Evidence Specialist
Location: Cleveland, OH (Medina)
Department: Forensics & Discovery Services
Reports To: Manager, Forensics & Discovery Services
Secures Electronically Stored Information (ESI) from devices or sources owned by clients and other parties that are to be preserved and/or analyzed by Vestige by performing the following duties personally or as part of a larger Data Acquisition Team.
This is an entry level position designed to advance the right candidate into a Forensic Analyst role within 12-14 months.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following…other duties may be assigned:
• Responsible for securing and preserving relevant ESI found on all forms of media (physical and virtual) present at the target organization(s);
• Perform data preservation using forensically-sound data acquisition/collection procedures;
• Stay up-to-date on technologies and data sources currently in-use and/or likely to be in-use at target organizations;
• Remain competitive/bleeding edge on new data acquisition methods and techniques;
• Responsible for performing acquisitions of data obtained on a wide variety of platforms (Windows, Macintosh, Linux/Unix, others) on a wide range of device types (workstations, laptops, servers, server farms, cloud repositories, PDAs, cell
phones, and other consumer electronics such as iPods/MP3 players, digital surveillance systems, voicemail systems, TiVO and other Digital Video Recording technology and others);
• Perform data acquisition tasks on “live” systems without necessitating complete and/or partial shutdown of services and/or system;
• Perform data acquisition tasks on devices remotely;
• Responsible for maintaining accurate and complete Chain of Custody documentation and Description of Evidence documentation on all evidential data;
• Responsible for data management surrounding initial archival of evidential data images, copying data to “work” media, performing restores from archival media, perform forensic restores and the clean-up/management of data once case has
been targeted for archival/closing;
• Responsible for safekeeping, managing and returning physical evidence belonging to client, opposing side and/or third parties;
• Act as Evidence Custodian responsible for ensuring that all data held by Vestige is done so with the express permission to have in our possession;
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Associate or Bachelor Degree in related area (i.e. Computer/Digital Forensics, Information Technology, Information Security, Criminal Justice, etc.)
• Advanced Degree beneficial, especially in area of Computer Forensics, Information Technology, Legal or Business
Fluent in English
Basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Each team member should strive to obtain general industry-recognized (Information Systems) certifications as well as computer-forensic specific certifications, such as:
• CompTIA A+ Certification
• ISFCE CCE
• Guidance Software EnCE
• AccessData Certified Examiner (ACE)
• GCFA, GCFE
• Cellebrite certifications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Lift and/or carry client equipment such as workstations, laptops and servers, up to 80 pounds;
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• 30% general office environment
• 20% travel
• 50% client site: primarily office environments, some residential locations
We offer Paid Time Off, Competitive Compensation, Benefit Packages including Health/Dental/Vision/Life Coverage, HSA and matching 401k Plan.