IT SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Information systems and technology are essential to Vestige Digital Investigations’ business success and to support our company’s mission of turning digital evidence into intelligence The Vestige IT Systems Administrator assists with the day-to-day information technology operations of the company, to ensure all systems have secure connections and perform smoothly to serve the needs of its employees. As technical experts, they perform day-to-day maintenance and repairs, including software and computer installations, monitoring and upgrades, security maintenance, troubleshooting, training, and technical support for all users and projects of the organization. The system administrator is there to keep the company’s network safe and running efficiently.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prioritize and schedule tasks. Escalating issues (where required) to the IT Lead.
- Act as the first line of support for all employees for their hardware and software. Set up and configure printers, scanners, and other peripherals/accessories.
- Identify hardware/software deficiencies and remediate before affecting company day-to-day operations
- Continually build process improvement initiatives with a growth-mindset
- Help develop and maintain knowledge base articles and other guides/documentation.
- Identify and learn software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level including installing and upgrading software/hardware alongside being a potential resource for training, questions, and potentially assistance in execution (pitch meetings, etc.).
- Test implemented solutions to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Maintain asset inventory of all hardware and software resources and equipment.
- Ability to safely lift and move objects weighing over 50 pounds.
- Execute other assigned tasks as delegated by the IT Lead.
- Work our IT Helpdesk as needed with basic ticket items.
- Ability to research a wide range of computing issues along with emerging tech.
- Prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Build, implement and maintain processes and training.
- Build machines for new employees and collect machines with employees leaving.
- Basic Web Administration Knowledge (DNS, FTP, Etc.)
- Provide support and maintenance of all servers, network equipment, and cloud resources in the organization.
- Ensure technology components meet needs and work together seamlessly using the full range of capabilities.
- Work closely with departmental managers to determine the maintenance and growth needs of the network.
- Stay informed to be able to educate management Network administration including firewall maintenance, network switch maintenance, , expansion, routing security, ACL’s and maintenance.
- Primary responsibility for Windows Workstations, virtual machine environment, Cloud services,l, Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS, and DHCP.
- Working knowledge of Vestige’s backup software.
- Migrate, upgrade, and enhance hardware and software essential to the development and corporate functions.
- Diagnostics, installation, and repair for servers and desktops.
- Recommends and develops plans for systems development and operations, hardware, and software purchases.
- Monitor and manage the company’s functional systems, Active Directory infrastructure, group policy and user management/access across multiple sites.
- Develops, implements, and monitors management information systems policies and controls to ensure data accuracy, security, and legal and regulatory compliance.
- Negotiates and contracts with consultants, technical personnel, and vendors for services and products.
- Provides support to end users in the selection, procurement, usage, and maintenance of software programs and hardware.
- Management of Vestige’s anti-virus software.
- Manages and monitors computer operation scheduling, backup, storage, and retrieval functions.
- Reviews reports of computer and peripheral equipment production, malfunction, and maintenance to determine costs and impact, and addresses problems.
- Develops, maintains, and tests disaster recovery plans.
- Maintains documentation of system hardware and software configuration and integration, inventory of assets and service agreements.
- Manages and administers office access and security system.
- Proficient in discovering new and emerging technologies.
- Performs trouble shooting of company website, VPN, and internal network.
- Suggest and implement proactive methods of identifying issues before they drastically affect the IT environment (failed drives, lack of disk space, etc.)
- Stay up to date on the latest methods utilized for cybersecurity protection.
- Respond to Third Party Risk Management questionnaires.
Some key characteristics in our people include an ability to be: creative, confidence, critical thinking, have a competitive spirit, be energized, and a community player. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex concepts to lay person.
- Excellent communication skills, both written & oral.
- Ability to manage and juggle multiple projects.
- Ability to prioritize multiple, competing demands on resources and time.
- Strong organizational, administration and problem-solving skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- Thorough understanding of network architecture and problem-solving.
- Thorough understanding of ESXI.
- Thorough understanding of Office 365 and Azure.
- Powershell Scripting
- Thorough understanding of Windows computer and server installation, configuration, imaging and support.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and prioritize and juggle multiple tasks within set deadlines.
- Sense of urgency for completing initiatives on schedule and ability to work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate within a team.
- Communications skills to explain complicated computer concepts.
- Discretion in handling people’s private information on data servers and throughout the network.
- Proven ability to learn technology quickly.
- Strong Customer Service Skills.
- Working knowledge of basic repair tools & software (Can you make a patch cable?).
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to retain information quickly & present new ideas.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Computer Information Systems (CIS), Information Technology, Computer Science or in related field; or five or more of years of related work experience.
- Advanced knowledge of computer network hardware, peripheral equipment, and software, including Windows, Office365, and SQL Server, is required. Knowledge of Apple OS is a plus.
- IT-related coursework and/or IT certifications are strongly preferred. Other Industry and software certifications are desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with network architecture and problem-solving.
Fluent in English.
- Basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Basic understanding of Statistics and other analysis techniques.
- Ability to think on feet.
- Ability to provide objective reasoning with thorough and thought out processes
- Ability to see big picture and work down to details
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Each team member should strive to obtain general industry-recognized (Information Systems) certifications as well as computer-forensic specific certifications, such as:
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- Microsoft related certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lift and/or carry client equipment such as workstations, laptops and servers, up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 100% of time in general office environment.
- Little to no travel required.