How Department of Defense Contractors Can Prepare for the CyberSecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC)
Cybersecurity mandates are sweeping the defense industry.
The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) implemented the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement, known as DFARS, which mandates that private DoD Contractors adopt cybersecurity standards according to the NIST SP 800-171 cybersecurity framework. This government-led effort is being implemented to protect the U.S. defense supply chain from foreign and domestic cybersecurity threats, and reduce the overall security risk of the sector.
Since the passing of DFARS, over 300,000 U.S. DoD Contractors have been scrambling to understand DFARS and implement NIST SP 800-171 standards within their companies to become compliant with the regulation. Some have had the internal resources to become compliant themselves, while others have outsourced the task to vendors who help DoD contractors comply with their cybersecurity mandates.
Due to a slow adoption rate of the DFARS 252.204-7012 regulation, the Department of Defense has released the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) to ensure appropriate levels of cybersecurity controls and processes are adequate and in place to protect controlled unclassified information (CUI) on DoD contractor systems.
Unlike in the past where you have been able to ‘self-assess’ under the existing DFARS regulation, the big change coming is that your organization will now need to utilize an outside, independent, third-party assessor (https://www.acq.osd.mil/cmmc/index.html).
IS YOUR PROGRAM READY?
If you currently have a lucrative DoD Contract that you want to maintain, passing the new CMMC is crucial. If you aren’t 100% certain you’ll pass — Vestige has a solution that is a perfect fit for you!
HERE IS OUR 3-PHASE CMMC PREPARATION PROCESS:
1. Pre-CMMC Cybersecurity Assessment
- We assess your network to see if it matches up with the upcoming guidelines. We’ll come in, just as if we were running the audit, and look at both Design and Execution.
- With the results from this, we’ll provide a complete Gap Analysis Roadmap showing where your organization currently stands in regard to passing the CMMC certification, current maturity level, and the path forward to obtaining the desired/required maturity level.
- In Phase 2, we take the roadmap from Phase 1 and help you implement those controls. We can be as involved or not as involved during this phase, based on your preference for assistance for remediating the gaps. With our expert advice, we help your IT put the controls in place with all the supporting requirements for turnkey execution, so there will be no issues when a third party assessor is certifying you.
3. Coordination, Guidance & Advocacy during the formal CMMC Assessment
- Vestige will work with you during the actual CMMC Assessment itself to make the process as smooth as possible. We act as an advocate, negotiator and liaison between your organization and your Certified 3rd Party Auditing Organization (C3PAO) – helping deliver success for your CMMC.
Webinar Presentation: CMMC – A Primer
Damon Hacker, Vestige President & CEO, provides this 2-hour PowerPoint Audio Webinar through PTAC that offers DoD Contractors a great overview of the new CMMC requirement:
- Vestige is a CMMC Registered Provider Organization (RPO)
- 20 years of Information Security/Cybersecurity experience
- Expertise in NIST 800-171, the predecessor to the CMMC
- Focus on small and mid-size enterprises/organizations
- A proven formula from going from assessment to secure
In review, our services include:
- Pre-CMMC Cybersecurity Assessment – Vestige will assess your network to see where your company is and if it complies with the upcoming guidelines.
- Remediation – We provide a roadmap, policies and turnkey implementation for you and your IT to ensure there will be no issues with a third party assessor certifying you.
- Expert Guidance – we offer expert guidance throughout the actual 3rd party CMMC Assessment to assure the process is smooth.
Take Proactive Steps Today
CONTACT VESTIGE today so that you are proactively prepared for this update and can smoothly transition to this latest effort by the DoD to enhance the protection of Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). You can reach Vestige at 800-314-4357 or email@example.com.